Dawkins, Judge Thomas House
Dawkins Court, N of East Main St., Union SC (Union County)
March 2 2005
Vacant/Not In Use
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Piers with Fill
raised seam aluminum
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The home has nine-over-nine double hung sash windows, entry door (now removed and the opening covered in vinyl) had sidelights and a fanlight, one ell on the rear of the house. 04/23/1973
The building was converted to apartments for use by USC-Union. It is in very poor condition on the interior. A fire escape has been placed on the west façade, an addition has been placed on the rear of the house.
The home was constructed for Judge Thomas M. Dawkins in 1845. "The Shrubs" was used for several days in February 1865 as Governor Andrew Magrath's headquarters for executing the affairs of state after the burning of Columbia by General Sherman. The home gained its name from the family home of Mary Poulton Dawkins, Judge Dawkins' wife, located outside of London, England.
Source of Historical Information:
Catawba Regional Planning Council. Historic Sites Survey, Union County. November 1976. pp. 38.