Withrew Manual Training
Bd. Of Education Maintenance Bldg.
119 College St., Chester, SC (Chester County)
February 23 2001
Historic Core Shape:
Architect or Builder:
Urquhart and Johnson of Columbia, SC., architects
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
contributes to eligible district;
Signficant Architectural Features:
2-story T plan brick school building with high hipped roof, gable -roofed front pavillion. Rear elevation has 1-story flat-roofed wing and shed-roofed addition. Roof has exposed rafter tails, triangular knee braces and gabled louvers on N and S sides. Rusticated brick base runs around building. Windows have soldier lintels and stone sills. Front pavillion has rusticated entrance surround with flat limestone pediment, arched opening. Flanking entrance are narrow windows. Over entrance are decorative brick and stone panels.
Modern windows, modern HVAC systems, 1st floor left side removal of windows and replacement with garage
Constructed in 1916 as a Manual Arts Annex for the College St. Public School. Named after an early Chester principal.
Source of Historical Information:
Chester County Schools, 1811-1976