Greenville Baptist Church
101 W. McBee Avenue, Greenville, South Carolina (Greenville County)
Architect or Builder:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Set upon a high raised basement, Downtown Baptist Church features six Ionic columns supporting and pediment and tall central spire. It is constructed of brick covered with stucco. Numerous concrete steps lead to the portico which has three double glass entrance doors, each capped by a pediment. Above each entrance way is a window with vertical mullion. The side facades have sex bays separated by pilasters, each bay featuring a stained glass window. On the basement level there are 8/8 windows and an entrance way. Alterations were made on all three of these facades ca. 1915. As shown by the architects drawing and an early photograph, there was originally one front door, while the side windows were probably shuttered and included 16 lights per sash. The staircase has also been widened one bay on each side.
Side facades;Front door;Staircase
For many years Greenville, SC has been a stronghold of the Baptist denomination in the state, and Greenville's Downtown Baptist Church has been one of the local points of that strength. Organized in 1831 with ten members, the church by 1930 had become, "by far the largest church in Greenville County..." Still maintaining an active congregation, Downtown Baptist Church is one of the very few mid-19th century public structures remaining in Greenville.
The Historic Resources of Greenville, SC (1981)
Box 7, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014