Lanneau-Norwood House

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
[unknown]
Street Address:
417 Belmont Ave

Site Number:
0025
Control Number:
U/45/0025
Date Surveyed:
February 26 2003
Category:
Building
Construction Date:
circa 1876
Historic Use:
Residential/Domestic
Current Use:
Residential/Domestic
Historic Core Shape:
Rectangular
Number of Stories:
2.5
Construction Method:
masonry
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick
Roof Shape:
hip
Porch Width:
full facade
Porch Shape:
flat
National Register Determination:
listed
Signficant Architectural Features:
2-1/2 story, brick Second Empire style house; symmetrical fa├žade w/central pavilion and tower and projecting corner pavilions; octagonal tower rises 1 1/2 stories above cornice and is capped by mansard roof w/2/2 dormers; corner pavilions capped by mansard roofs; attached full-width 1-story porch projects forward and is supported on slender square posts w/decorative cornice; round arched window openings w/stone lintels and sills; 2/2; double-leaf entry under arched transom; 3 detached outbuildings
Historical Information:
Built ca. 1876 for Charles Lanneau, the house is the finest surviving example of the Second Empire style in Greenville. Lanneau organized Huguenot Plaid Mill in 1882, an important early textile mill. The house was purchased in 1907 by John W. Norwood, a prominent banker and businessman.
Source of Historical Information:
NR nomination. Ebaugh 1970.
Quadrangle Name:
Greenville