Josiah Kilgore House
N Church & Academy Sts
February 26 2003
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
raised seam metal
entrance bay only
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
2-story, frame L-plan Greek Revival house; weatherboards w/flush board sheathing under portico; side-gable roof; brick end chimneys; 2-story pedimented portico on square posts w/oculus window; boxed cornice w/modillions; single-leaf entry w/sidelights and lunette transom; central 2nd-story window w/sidelights and transom over panels; other windows in main block are 9/9 w/sidelights; 2-story rear ell w/brick end chimney and 1-story shed-roof side porches; 9/6 windows
Victorian interior updates (ca. 1880); moved (????)
One of the earliest surviving houses in the city of Greenville, the Kilgore-Lewis House was built in the 1830s by Josiah Kilgore for his daughter, Mary, who married John W. Stokes. Their granddaughter, Lillian Gaines married R. E. Lewis and occupied the house after 1920.
Source of Historical Information:
NR nomination. Ebaugh 1970.