20 South Battery, Charleston, South Carolina (Charleston County)
Site card S108042000400214000
Number of Stories:
2 tiered piazzas
Signficant Architectural Features:
Built about 1843 by S.M. Stevens, the house was originally a rather simple 3 story house of Flemish bond with piazzas across the front. In 1870, the house was bought by Richard Lathers and he set about transforming it into a period house of the then popular Victorian fashion. The dwelling that emerged was a four story massive structure with a mansard roof a large 2-tiered piazzas across the front. Many of the rooms today still contain the pressed tin ceilings that were fashionable of the day and the ballroom has beveled glass windows. The front parlors however seem to have been left unaltered, with the original anthemion freize still intact.
Historic Charleston Foundation Survey 1972
Box 4, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014