266 Saint Margaret St, Charleston, SC (Charleston County)
June 23 2003
Historic Core Shape:
Architect or Builder:
Hall, George Abbot
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
This Federal style house has brick chimneys on the east and west facades; hipped dormers on sides with 6/6 windows. The central projecting porch has a pediment with round window; modillions and dentils along eaves. Keeping with the style, the house also has a Palladian front door surround with fanlight and sidelights; French doors on the south façade; 9/9 windows on sides. The porch basement is glassed with gothic, Tudor, and round arch openings.
Front piazza replaced/added (c. 1830); hipped north side addition (c. 1830); Basement glassed (c. 1900); tile roof added (c. 1920)
Built by George Abbot Hall after acquiring "Grove" plantation destroyed in Revolutionary War. In 1803, the plantation was purchased by William Lowndes, member of SC house of Representatives and 1810-1822 US Congressman. Later owner Capt. F.W. Wagener, president of the South Carolina Interstate and West Indian Exposition, used as the house as Women's Building during the exposition (1901-1902). In the 1920's, the house was owned by James Sottile, Jr., who helped develop the surrounding Wagener Terrace neighborhood.
Source of Historical Information:
Lowndes Grove NRHP nomination