S.S. Rogers House ("The Oaks")
Benjamin Rogers House
278 The Oaks Lane
September 20 2006
1912 – 1958
Historic Core Shape:
Architect or Builder:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
two-story, frame house, symmetrical façade, central doors on each floor with sidelights and transom windows, brick chimneys on slope, square classical columns, one-story side projection
second story addition (1912), further renovations (1958)
The S.S. Rogers House is located in Brownsville. Originally, a small one-story house was built on the property in 1825. After several additions, a second story was added around 1912. Further renovations took place in 1958. In 1819, Colonel Benjamin Rogers brought the Frenchman, Peter Stuart Ney to start a school near the house. Later Rogers learned that Peter Ney was actually Marshal Michel Ney, the great French general who was supposedly executed by firing squad in Paris in 1815.
Source of Historical Information:
Marlboro County, South Carolina: A Pictoral History, 1951.