Pleasant Hill Baptist Church

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
[unknown]
Street Address:
1785 Old Hamer Road;(Dillon County)

Site Number:
542
Control Number:
U/33/542
Date Surveyed:
September 3 2008
Category:
Building
Construction Date:
1906
Alteration Date:
1957
Historic Use:
Religion
Current Use:
Religion
Historic Core Shape:
Rectangular
Architect or Builder:
unknown
Number of Stories:
1
Construction Method:
frame
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Veneer
Foundation Materials:
Brick
Roof Shape:
cross gable
Roof Materials:
composite shingle
Porch Width:
full fa├žade
Porch Shape:
pedimented gable
National Register Determination:
not eligible
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 towers, stained glass windows, double paneled doors w/surround, round columns, window in pediment, side entries, rear projection
Alterations:
renovated & added education building to rear
Historical Information:
On a plot of land deeded by the Rev. Hugh Harrelson to J.W. Turbeville, H.B. Miller & C.B. Arnette for the purpose of erecting a church & schoolhouse. A day school and a sunday school were conducted on the site until 1879. The present building was constructed in 1906 to replace the original church. In 1957 the Walter Arnette family donated money to cover the restoration of the sanctuary and an addition of a modern education building.
Source of Historical Information:
Stokes- The History of Dillon County, South Carolina
Quadrangle Name:
Dillon East