Duncan Creek Presbyterian Church
795 Golden Acres Rd.
January 14 2003
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
gable, end to front
entrance bay only
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The church has nine-over-nine windows including a twelve-over-eight window in the front gable end, course-cut stone exterior with raised mortar joint,
The church congregation was organized in 1764 and the current building was constructed in 1842. Duncan's Creek Presbyterian Church is the oldest in Laurens County. The settlement where the church is located is named for its first settler, John Duncan, a Scotch-Irish pioneer for Pennsylvania. The original church on the site was organized by Joseph Adair, Thomas Erving, William Hanna, and Andrew McCrory and was a simple log structure. Sixteen congregation member who fought in the Revolutionary War are buried in the cemetery.
Source of Historical Information:
National Register Nomination, Duncan's Creek Presbyterian Church, record on file at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, South Carolina.