Kay-Breazeale House and Cemetery
Breazeale Rd., N side, approx. 3/4 mi. W of int. w/ Hwy 29;(Anderson County)
May 22 2002
circa 1830 – 1860
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
raised seam metal
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The house has a small gable over the entry, which is a double door with sidelights. The main entry is also flanked by Doric pilasters. Windows on the house include nine over six, two over two, eight over eight, and six over one double hung sash. The cemetery includes graves from 1808 to the late-nineteenth century; many are unmarked.
A rear shed room was added with a small exterior chimney, and shed roof screened porch. The porch supports are wood posts on brick piers.
The house was built for Charles Kay, who purchased the 800-acre plantation from Saxon Anderson. The plantation was called "Beaverdam." The Breazeale family purchased the house and land ca. 1880-1900 and made alterations to the house.
Source of Historical Information:
Breazeale, property owner; plaque in cemetery erected by the Kay Family Association in 1991