Due West Hwy, S side, approx. 200 yds. W of int. w/ SC 413;(Anderson County)
April 24 2002
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Piers with Fill
gable, end to front
entrance bay only
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The church has tripartite four-over-four pane windows, entry gables on either side of the main façade with double entry doors and square post supports with matchstick frieze and balustrade. There is a gable addition on the rear façade. There is a cemetery between the church and Due West Hwy.
The first church was built in 1788 and was the first Methodist church in the section. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1909 on the site of the original church. The first church building served as a school for many years.
Source of Historical Information:
"Survey of Historical Places in the Appalachian Region." South Carolina Appalachian Council of Governments. Revised version of 1972 Survey. South Carolina Department of Archives and History.