Providence Methodist Church
Providence Church Rd., N side, approx. 1 mi. W of int. w/ SC 187;(Anderson County)
March 13 2002
Historic Core Shape:
Architect or Builder:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
gable, end to front
raised seam metal
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Both the main and side facades have double entry doors. There is one small interior chimney and the windows are covered with shutters. The gable end on the main facade has rectangular window/vent.
A handicap ramp has been attached to side entrance.
Adjacent to Camp Providence building with sign: "Slave graves, Indian Mounds, Nature Trail, Swimming, Canoeing." Graves are marked from the 1840s through mid-1900s.
Camp meetings began here in 1849 and continued through 1884. The church was built as the second home of Providence Methodist Church in 1860 by Charles Barrett. It was renovated in 1947.
Source of Historical Information:
On-site signs; Elizabeth Belser Fuller, "Anderson County Sketches," Anderson: Anderson Tricentennial Committee, 1969.