Garrison, William Dunkling and Annie E. Reed, House
Denver Downs Dairy and General Farm
4915 Clemson Hwy (Hwy 76);(Anderson County)
March 6 2002
circa 1875 – 1880
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Piers with Fill
facade and left elevation
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The home has six over one double hung sash windows, dental molding along the cornice, and double entry door with transom and sidelights. The porch is supported with paired Doric columns with groups of three at the corners. There are two interior chimneys with stepped, recessed panels on each side. The dormer on the main façade contains a Palladian window and is shaped to echo the window's shape. The side roof slopes contain gable dormers with paired six-light windows. A bay window with dental molding is located on the east corner. There are several associated outbuildings that relate to the dairy and at least one tenant house. Outbuildings include a carriage house, smokehouse and two large barns ca. 1890-1900.
The rear porch was enclosed and adapted as a kitchen, ca. 1900. In the 1930s, a bathroom was added and electricity installed. In 1945, some first floor ceilings were lowered and a partition installed to divide the hall, both efforts to conserve heat. The first floor hardwood floors were replaced also in the 1940s. In the 1970s, two baths were installed upstairs, and the rear porch was fully enclosed and extended to include a car port.
William Dunkling Garrison moved to Anderson County from Greenville County to manage a cotton farm for the Autun Mill in La France. Garrison purchased this property in 1872 and built the extant house between 1875 and 1880 on what was then known as General's Road. In 1894, the Welcome Baptist Church was organized in the parlor. Garrison grew cotton and corn in addition to his work with Autun. He was on the committee to erect the Anderson County Courthouse. His youngest son Thomas Edmund continued the farm until 1945 when his son Ed returned from World War II and purchased remaining shares of the farm from family members. Ed started a dairy in 1945 and also served in the SC State Legislature from 1958 to 1988. His sons Tom and Bart began leasing the farm from Ed in 1988. The farm now produces corn, soybeans, wheat, oats, barley, beef cattle, and vegetables, which are sold at an outdoor market next to the house. The house and outbuildings are located on 350 acres associated with the farm. Denver Downs is recognized as a Century Farm.
Source of Historical Information:
Juanita Garrison, property owner, interview, 6 March 2002.