Shirley, Obediah House
Bagwell Rd., W side, approx. 1/2 mi. N of int. w/ SC 252;(Anderson County)
May 2 2002
Vacant/Not In Use
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
gable, end to front
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The home has two exterior end composite chimneys and one-story gable ell on the rear façade. Window openings are covered with one-piece wooden shutters with hand-hewn wrought iron hinges. Weatherboard on the left end of the first story has been removed to expose the original log cabin.
Obediah Shirley and his wife Jane Armstrong moved to the Honea Path area property in 1826 and probably built the first phase of this house shortly after. Shirley was a cotton farmer, and inherited Honea Path-area lands from his father-in-law. He also quarried blue granite in the 1850s which he sold to the Columbia-Greenville Railroad for bridge construction. The quarry was probably in operation only a few years. The Shirleys lived in the house until 1889, when Obediah died.
Source of Historical Information:
US Department of the Interior, National Park Service, "Obediah Shirley House," National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, 3 September 1999, 8:7; Interview with Jim Pinson, 2 May 2002.