Nieuport Plantation Ricefields
Nemours Plantation; Newport Plantation
Highway 17, N side, .3 mi W of Combahee River;(Beaufort County)
R700 010 000 0001 0000
Signficant Architectural Features:
Nieuport first acquired ca. 1760 by Henry Middleton; remained in Middleton-Cheves family until 1929 when it was sold as 3670 acres. 1887-1913 planted by Landon Cheves and F. W. Colcock. Newport Plantation part of Eugene Dupont III's Nemours Plt., form
Source of Historical Information:
Robert Cuthbert, "Combahee River Plantations" in Carologue, Spring 1996.