Edwards House

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Old House Ruins
Street Address:
Old House Rd.;(Beaufort County)

Site Number:
Control Number:
Tax Number:
R600 016 000 0041 0000
Date Surveyed:
December 16 1997
Construction Date:
circa 1790
Alteration Date:
circa 1810
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Site has been green-spaced and interpretive signs installed.Pre-1800 rectangular two-story core with two-story wings added ca. 1810 to create tripartite dwelling with porch along three sides of the east U, facing the river. Parts of the north and south end walls of the core survive: it was of tabby with scored s
North and south wings added ca. 1810.
Historical Information:
Ca. 1750 George Barksdale acquired Spring Island; his grandson George Edwards (d. 1859) eventually inherited and enlarged the house and added outbuildings and landscaping, probably between 1802 and 1812. Edwards planted Sea Island cotton on Spring Islan
Source of Historical Information:
Michael Trinkley, ed., The Second Phase of Archaeological Survey on Spring Island, Beaufort County, South Carolina: Investigation of Prehistoric and Historic Settlement Patterns on an Isolated Sea Island, Chicora Foundation Research Series 20 (Columbia
Quadrangle Name: