Hamilton, Jane, School
24 Old Haig Rd.;(Beaufort County)
R800 025 000 0002 0000
September 17 1997
Vacant/Not In Use
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
gable (end to front)
V crimp metal
entrance bay only
Signficant Architectural Features:
West elevation has two 6-light casement windows; east elevation has band of six 6/6 sash typical of school construction.
Constructed by carpenter-builder Samuel Holmes on a lot donated by Jane Hamilton. Opened as a two-teacher school; closed ca. 1950. After that time the children of Cooper River community attended Mary Fields Elementary. Used as residence of Mrs. Hamil
Source of Historical Information:
Interview Yvonne Williams, 9/17/97. Billie Burn, An Island Named Daufuskie, pp. 339-340.