Captain Francis Saltus Store

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
John Cross Tavern
Street Address:
812 Bay St.;(Beaufort County)

Site Number:
Control Number:
Tax Number:
R120 004 000 0934 0000
Date Surveyed:
July 7 1997
Construction Date:
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Construction Method:
frame tabby
Roof Shape:
gable (end to front)
National Register Determination:
contributes to listed district
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 1/2 story commercial structure opening to street N. Present configuration the result of multiple alteration. Original building of which substantial segments survive, was a narrow rectangular end gable store built of tabby. Incorporating one main stor
see description.
Historical Information:
Petitions to South Carolina Legislature show this tabby structure was erected by Captain Francis Saltus circa 1796 as a ship's store. There is no evidence that the present building ever functioned as tavern during 18th. or early 19th. century despite loc
Source of Historical Information:
Colin Brooker "Architectural and Archaeological Excavation at 802 Bay St. Beaufort, SC" 1996; Beaufort RMC 1: 447; Historic Beaufort Foundation Historic Sites Survey files
Quadrangle Name: