William Johnson House

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Street Address:
414 New St.;(Beaufort County)

Site Number:
Control Number:
Tax Number:
R120 004 000 0823 0000
Date Surveyed:
August 5 1997
Construction Date:
circa 1776
Alteration Date:
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Construction Method:
frame tabby
Roof Shape:
National Register Determination:
contributes to listed district
Signficant Architectural Features:
Important provincial Late Georgian style 2 story timber framed dwelling raised on tabby basement. Has hipped roof and exposed end chimneys. 5 bay main facade faces street to east. Central entrance with 3 light transom now protected by stoop. Early raise
Victorian style entrance porch added to rear elevation. Former front porch removed in 1960 (Feiss-Wright, 1968).
Historical Information:
Construction of this house is attributed to William Johnson circa 1776. Details suggest this construction date is likely, although a somewhat earlier building date cannot be ruled out. The site was owned before the Civil War by W.C. Danner. Samuel J. Ba
Source of Historical Information:
Guide to Historic Beaufort, second edition 1973. U.S.Direct Tax Commission, Map 1862. Historic Beaufort Foundation historic sites survey files, including an article on Bampfield by Gerhard Spieler, Beaufort Gazette, 1/28/97.
Quadrangle Name: