St. Helena Episcopal Church
501 Church St.;(Beaufort County)
R120 004 000 0685 0000
June 5 1997
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
gable (end to front)
National Register Determination:
contributes to listed district
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 story brick built church aligned east/west with main entrance and tower west. Tower has 2 main stages surmounted by open lantern and steeple. At lower level pedimented W. front has fluted Doric doorcase loosely based on model by James Gibbs approached
see under Historical Data, west end constructed in 1817 is now oldest visible portion of building.
Church founded 1712 as Parish Church of St. Helena. Construction began 1724, the early structure being rebuilt in 1769. This phase extended to W. 1817 and subsequently demolished (except for west extension) down to ground level in 1842 when present side
Source of Historical Information:
Brooker Architectural Design Job Files; St. Helena Parish Church Vestry Minutes. See also WPA Guide to Early American Homes. Historic Beaufort Foundation historic sites survey files.