Baptist Church of Beaufort
600 Charles St.;(Beaufort County)
R120 004 000 0608 0000
July 8 1997
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
gable (end to front)
National Register Determination:
contributes to listed district
Signficant Architectural Features:
Brick built church aligned east/west with entrance from street east. Approached via classical porch with pedimented gable carried on two unfluted Doric columns set in antis. Porch has early York stone pavement. Pediment with glazed round window surmounte
steeple added to tower in 1961; 2 story extension to west under construction 1997, extensive restoration.
Church built 1844 under direction of Deacon Joseph Hazel a local planter, Richard Fuller pastor. Designated Hospital # 14 during Civil War. The Baptist Church of Beaufort was officially chartered in 1804. The present church was built at a cost of $10,000
Source of Historical Information:
See also WPA Guide to Early American Homes. Historic Beaufort Foundation historic sites survey files.